Saturday, June 19, 2010

Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck

I realize this book is a classic, but I decided to post a review anyway, in case anyone was interested.

Of Mice and Men follows the journey of two friends, George and Lennie, as they attempt to fulfill their American dream of owning their own land. George and Lennie work as temporary farmhands who move from ranch to ranch as they look for work. Lennie, who is not intelligent, sometimes complicates the process by getting them into trouble, but rather than abandon him, George sticks up for him and protects him. Just when George and Lennie are the closest they've ever been, a tragedy interrupts their plans. You'll have to read the book to find out what it is!

I have read Steinbeck before and so am familiar with his writing style, but this book is one of my favorites. Steinbeck has an ability to capture a grand story in a short book, something I admire very much. Again, this book is a very short read and a great introduction for the beginning classics reader and a great break for the practiced one.

2 comments:

  1. The only thing I've read by Steinbeck is The Grapes of Wrath, and I didn't like it at all. I'm willing to try again, though...I've learned you shouldn't judge an author by one book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to read Grapes of Wrath, perhaps I will later on this summer. I would also recommend The Pearl, it's a great one too

    ReplyDelete