Monday, July 19, 2010

No Good Like It Is - McKendree R. Long III

No Good Like It Is tells the journey of Lieutenant Dobey Walls through the Civil War and, when the war ends, to find his family. On the way he encounters Native Americans, slaves, and even love. 

For me, this book was hard to get through. For someone who already knows a great deal about the Civil War, it would be perfect, but for someone who knows just the basics, like me, it's simply too jargon-filled and complicated to follow. Although the writing style was not bad by any means, the content of the book simply didn't capture my interest. I also felt like too much time was wasted on fighting scenes. Although this is a great read for Civil War history buffs, it might prove too difficult of a challenge for the average reader.

Note: This book was sent to me by the author for review through the third party Bostick Communications.

2 comments:

  1. Hm, sounds like a book my grandpa would like - he's a big Civil War history buff. Don't think I'd like it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, definitely a grandpa-type book :)

    ReplyDelete