Monday, July 26, 2010

The Lake - William P. Crawford


The Lake is one of those stories which I would classify as plausible fiction. What would happen if we found a real Fountain of Youth, one that would eradicate disease? What would the political and social consequences be, and how would the proper authorities go about dealing with them? This is the premise of the story. The protagonist, Jeff, is at the center of the action, acting as a liason between the water company that owns Crowley Lake (the source of the magic water) and the government. His romantic interest, Kate, is an Irish reporter who doesn't quite understand why everyone being healthy is so bad. Along the way, the reader meets various other characters who are all affected by the magic water in some way or another.

While I enjoyed thinking about the concept presented in The Lake, the writing itself was not very engaging. I felt as if the main characters lacked depth, and while new characters were constantly being introduced, Crawford failed to adequately develop them. Because of this, as paradoxical as it may seem, the plot was good, but the story fell flat.

Note: This book was sent to me by the author for review through the third party Bostick Communications.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a great premise for a book...too bad you didn't enjoy it. :( Also, I love your profile pic! Yum! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was a good concept, but I need good characterization, otherwise I get bored. Thanks! I love my chocolate cake :p

    ReplyDelete